We have all been there, we wake up feeling gross… fat, tired, old, ugly. All we want to crawl back into our bed with good TV and a bag of chips, but when we do that we end up feeling far worse at the end of the day then we did in the morning. Sometimes we may wallow in this for a few days, or we do something impulsive, like dye our hair a crazy colour, fake nails or join a gym. Fortunately, just around the corner there is another stressful event that will provide a new obsession to distract ourselves with.
But stats tell us that only 10% of females are ever happy with their looks… I’m surprised by that was I would have predicted it to be more like 0%. After all, Heidi Klum has said that she has some really ugly days that she doesn’t even want to leave her house. Let me tell you worst day would be better then my best day. Regardless with all the pressure to look her best all the time, and all the help she has to do that, she feels it as much as the average person.
We all have obsessions with how we look. For me, I try to keep my skin healthy looking, for some people it’s their weight, other’s hair and even teeth. Our fixations can rotate and change weekly depending on the level of our own ugly scale.
It is consistent among the experts that what we do is focus on the single thing that is most key to making us feel beautiful. I decided to test this out.
So here are the options again are: Face, Hair, and Body.
I have selected Face.. as I can live with extra fat on my body more then having a hollow tired looking face, and my face takes less effort to maintain than my body. Hair? Hair is far too much work.
Your turn to pick. Face? Hair? Body?
The next step is to pick your top 3 areas within your overall area, e.g. my top 3 areas within face are:
- avoid getting even more sun damage
- healthy skin.. good level of collagen
Wrinkles did not make it in my top three, I’m willing to live with my wrinkles. I am not the least bit irritated when I see crows feet. Having said that, ten years from now my priorities may have shifted entirely.
This you do an action plan: realize you can not be perfect in all areas, if you were you’d be Heidi Klum or Helen of Troy. Make peace with who you are and love life.
To help stay balanced, try to keep this in mind:
- Celebrities spend an average of 200k per year on appearance. “A” listers closer to 500k
- Photo finishing changes a model from a size 4 to size 0. It can take off as much as 35 pounds!
- Genetically 90% of the population can never have a flat stomach. It’s the jobs of the abdominals to hold our colon and other internal organs in place, but flat is not what they do. We have naturally rounded abdomens and that’s healthy.
- The average height for a women is 5 feet 3 inches. Anything taller is a reason to celebrate, as height hides weight more easily
- The average weight is 164 pounds. Therefore a woman taller than average is allowed to weigh more than average.
- 42% of americans over 40 do not have any natural teeth left
- 1 in 5 americans will have skin cancer
- 80% population have increased hair loss as they age
- Americans spend 1 billion a year on anti wrinkle creams.. and yet 100% will wrinkle as we age… just a matter of time..
- Americans spend 10 billion a year on beauty products but regardless 90% of americans are unhappy with their looks.
There is something seriously wrong here. WHy are we so hard on ourselves?
Just imagine if you had an accident and your face were burned or you lost the movement of your body. With that in mind, what would you think about how you look right at this moment? I doubt that you would be nearly as critical and you would do anything you could to get even a part of it back.
Just for fun, I have developed a new strategy to feel more beautiful:
1. Marry someone 24 years older. You’ll always look beautiful and young to them.
2. Move to West Virginia. Jamie Oliver says average weight is more then any other U.S. State. You’ll either look small or be among friends.
3. Work from your house you don’t ever have to get out of your pyjamas. Just putting on clothes will make you feel beautiful.
4. Only buy titika as the fabric and designs hold your body tight. Then you can eat without feeling your pants are getting tighter. Especially make sure you get rid of denim jeans.
5. Wear heels all day. You’ll feel sexy.
6. Eliminate all mirrors from your home.
7. Have a son. He’ll worships you no matter how you look.
8. Hang out with people who care even less about their appearance then you.
9. Read about all the pretty stars who are drug addicts.
Or here is a really crazy idea? If 90% of Americans are unhappy with their looks, why be average? Be UNIQUE. Be Special. Be one of the 10% and love the way you are.
While you’re thinking about that, I am off to worship my body in a long hot bath and then apply this great new face mask that I’ve heard will make me look younger, after only 10 applications :)
Karla Stephens-Tolstoy, Tokii CEO & Founder
A business and brand maverick, skilled in building start-ups and building brand management teams in North America, Asia and Europe.
If you enjoyed this post, you should check out our other Health and Beauty Posts